About Lurainya

Hi… I'm Lurainya.

I'm an artist, writer, dancer, and also founder/director of a not-for-profit. I could run down a list of experiences and history, but I thought this might be a little more fun…

Some little bits about me that most people don't know…

If you'd like to know more about me, read onward…

I'm currently learning to balance work and motherhood, as I quite suddenly found myself in the role of step-mom to two little girls, pretty much overnight when I moved in with my fiancé (he has sole and legal custody).

Their names are Sofia and Caroline, and both are dynamic little women in the making. They were 6 and 9 when I met them and had my crash course in sudden fulltime motherhood. Somehow, I survived, because they're now 8 and 10 now, and I'm still standing. ;)

I'm making my return to my career with a very different perspective now that I'm parenting two kids, and with different body limitations after years of medical problems due to undiagnosed Lyme disease, which eventually required long and aggressive treatments.

I'm officially a "softball mom" now, and working on WomenMove programming during games!

This is their father and my fiancé, Patrick. He's from France. Actually, he grew up in Morocco, Switzerland, and France. But he's got a very thick French accent, so I'm going with, "he's from France." We dated briefly 18 years ago. When we met up for coffee again in 2017, I had no idea it would lead to this.

Before I was mothering these two little women, I was mothering this big guy: That's Oz, my baby boy. He was a 120 pound German Shepherd mix. My ex-husband (who is still one of my greatest friends!) and I adopted him from a shelter. Oz was full grown and had lots of issues from past abuse; he had been found sick and starving in the streets with no tags, but we could tell he had quite a past that haunted him. He's 'on the other side' now, but not a day goes by where I don't still miss him.

Before and while we had Oz, I was taking massive amounts of medication for Lyme disease and having several surgeries - those were very difficult years. The day before we adopted Oz, I had just had my PICC line removed (the tube that is surgically inserted into a person's body in order to administer IV medications). I had been doing 5 hours of infusions a day, every day, for 4 months. Along with two years of heavy doses of pills (14 pills, twice a day). Long story short, it was hell, and I'm glad the medications are over! I do still need to monitor how much I physically exert myself, which is difficult considering how much I'm trying to accomplish, but c'est la vie! All you can do is make the best of the cards you're dealt and keep moving forward!